Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Neighborhood Watch


You have to love concerned neighbors. You know the retired kind older ladies who look out for everyone ... a little too much.
We have a few of those in our neighborhood and I love them. We have about one or 2 in every street and they are a tight group. Anytime I need to know something about someone, they have the tea. They are also the ones who manage the neighborhood WhatsApp group, keep everyone updated on developments and manage the HOA (Home Owners Association). That being said, as much as you love them, they can be a little too concerned sometimes. 
I've recently started dating again after a long time. I politely told my nosy neighbors about it and said that maybe sometimes someone will come over for a glass for wine a little late at night. I know I'm the topic of the ladies their morning tea time the next day, but hey I really don't mind it.  No problems there, no incidents...until 2 weeks ago.
It so happened that I met a guy who recently moved into the neighborhood. We ran into each other in a local bar and hit it right off. We started texting back and forth and quickly became friends. He's new to the neighborhood and not yet familiar with the "old broad squad" and how they operate. He politely nods to them when he sees them in the street or supermarket, but that's about it. We went on a couple of dates, where he usually picked me up and brought me back home. He came over twice for drinks and I had, as I always do, informed my "security team" that I was having a guest over, as to not alarm them about the car parked in front of my house at 2 am. This fling of ours was getting a little more serious, and one night he asked me to come over to his house. I got us a pizza, took a bottle of wine and drove my car 2 streets down for some Netflix and chill. It was about 3 am when I woke up because my phone was ringing. It was a friend of mine who is a police officer in our local precinct. A 3am phone call from the police can NEVER be a good sign. I picked up and my friend asked me in a very stern voice where I was. When I told him that he wasn't calling me at the best time, because I was with a guy, he burst out laughing. Apparently the sweet lady across the street of my new boo was concerned that there was a car parked in front of her house all night, so she made a picture of my car and posted it in the neighborhood WhatsApp group. All the old ladies were on high alert and one of them called the police station. The cops checked the license plate and one of them recognized my name ... so he called me to ask if everything was ok with me. So now the whole neighborhood knows that me and the new neighbor are kind of sorta involved. On the bight side ... he can't have any other ladies over, because I will get a call from the neighborhood watch. I might bake her a cake later.

No comments:

Post a Comment